TRIANGLE ADVENTURE: PICO, SÃO JORGE AND FAIAL ISLANDS, AZORES
Logistics, regulations, and recommendations for the event may change before the event due to force majeure reasons such as weather conditions or other calamities. Please keep an eye on your email and phone. Follow the Azores Triangle Adventure Facebook page and visit this site frequently for new information.
HOW TO GET THERE
BIB COLECTION OF TRIANGLE ADVENTURE: FAIAL ISLAND
DESTINATION AIRPORT FOR FAIAL ISLAND: HORTA AIRPORT (HOR)
OPTION: you can also fly to PICO ISLAND, PICO AIRPORT (PIX)*
You can reach Faial and Pico Islands from Lisboa, São Miguel Island, Azores (Ponta Delgada Airport), and Terceira Island, Azores (Lajes Airport). The airline that flies to Faial Island is Azores Airlines.
You can reach São Miguel Island ou Terceira Island by Azores Airlines from:
Portugal, there are direct flights from Lisbon, Porto, and Funchal (Madeira Island)
North America, there are direct flights from Boston, Providence, and Oakland (USA) and Toronto and Montreal (Canada)
Other European countries, there are direct flights from London, Frankfurt, and Gran Canaria.
Cape Verde, there are direct flights from Santiago Island.
Be aware that the number of flights and seats per flight are very limited, so book your trip in advance.
* If you fly to Pico, you can stay there and collect the BIB at the start line of the race (the Pico Island stage is the first one), or you can catch a ferry to the city of Horta in Faial Island.
WHERE TO STAY
To decide where to stay, it is important to pay attention to the event's program. It's a 3-day event on three islands, and we will travel between them by boat each day in the morning. The organization will not provide transportation to the boat pier. Check the recommendations below:
1. Faial island: The Bib Collection will take place on Faial Island on the day previous to the race. So, the days before the race start, you can stay Faial. (Optionally, you can stay in Pico and collect your Bib on the start line at Pico). The first stage of the race is Pico, and we will catch a boat at Horta to Pico Island very early in the morning. So, if you are not going to stay near the Boat Pier, we recommend you book a taxi in advance or manage transportation with your accommodation place.
2. Pico: After finishing the race in Pico, the bus will take the runners back to Madalena.
3. São Jorge: After finishing the race on São Jorge Island, the bus will take the runners back to Velas, where you'll catch the boat for Faial Island the next day.
4. Faial: the last stage is on Faial Island. The city of Horta is a good place to stay.
Some options exist for Hotels, Hostels, and Houses for Rent in Horta City, Faial. Suppose you are not going to stay in Horta. In that case, we recommend you arrange in advance transportation with your lodging option because the organization will not provide transportation to the boat that departs from Horta.
Main Hotels in Horta: Azoris Faial Garden, Hotel do Canal, Horta Hotel, Internacional Boutique Hostel and Residencial São Francisco.
Pico has some hotels, hostels, and Houses for Rent options in Madalena. Suppose you are not going to stay in Madalena. In that case, we recommend you arrange in advance transportation with your lodging option because the organization will not provide transportation to the boat that departs from Madalena and from the finish line to any other place than Madalena.
Main Hotels in Madalena: Caravelas Hotel and Porto Velho Boutique Hostel
São Jorge has some Hotels and Houses for Rent options in Velas. Suppose you are not going to stay in Velas. In that case, we recommend you arrange in advance transportation with your lodging option because the organization will not provide transportation to the boat that departs from Velas and from the finish line to any other place than Velas.
Main Hotel in Velas: São Jorge Garden
WHERE TO STAY EACH DAY
Before the race: Faial Island or Pico Island
1st Day/ Stage: Pico Island (Madalena)
2nd Day /Stage: São Jorge Island (Velas)
3rd Day /Stage: Faial Island (Horta)
If you are not going to stay in the main cities of the event, we recommend you to arrange transportation with your hotel, hostel, B&B or house in advance to the boats and from the finishing lines.
AND FINISHING LINES
Faial: from Horta, Oct 21st
Pico Island: from Madalena, Oct 22nd
São Jorge Island, from Velas, Oct 23rd
Pico Island: Mountain House
São Jorge Island: Fajã dos Cubres
Faial Island: Capelinhos Volcano
BETWEEN THE ISLANDS
The boat transfer between the islands is included in the fee registration for all the runners registered on the three stages* and just for the runners (followers can buy boat tickets at Atlanticoline). All the boats depart from the main location on each island (Horta City, in Faial, Madalena in Pico, and Velas in São Jorge).
* If you run just 1 or 2 stages, you must get to the island on your own.
IN THE ISLANDS
Transportation to the start line or from the finish line to the main locations (Horta, Madalena, and Velas) is secured by the organization to the runners exclusively. Followers must find their way to move around the islands (rent a car or motorbike, jeep rides, or taxis).
Suppose you will not stay in Horta, Madalena, and Velas. In that case, we recommend you arrange transportation by taxi, rental car, or in your accommodation in advance to the boat piers and from the finishing lines.
In October and November the ocean can be tricky. So, if you get sick easely in boat trips, take precautionary measures before boarding
WHAT TO DO
The 3 Islands of the Azorean Triangle, Pico, São Jorge and Faial, have unique features and landscapes. During the race, you'll be able to pass trough some breathtaking views and reach some amazing places.
If you want to stay longer to enjoy the islands, you can choose some of those activities on the 3 islands:
- Whale and Dolphin Watching
- Scuba Diving
- Horse Riding
- Bird Watching
- Boat Ride
And you can visit some amazing places in each Island:
- Capelinhos Volcano and the Interpretation Center of the Volcano
- Caldeira (Volcano Crater)
- Porto Pim Bay (Beach, Monte da Guia, Monte dos Queimados)
- Botanical Garden
- Museum "Fábrica da Baleia" about the whaler industry
- City of Horta and the Boat Pier (and Peter Cafe Sport)
- Castelo Branco Hill
- The Pico Mountain
- The Wine Museum
- "Centro de Interpretação da Paisagem da Cultura da Vinha" (Interpretation Center of the Vineyard Culture)
- The Lajido and "criações velhas" area, with the traditional Vineyards
- Lajes Villa and the Whaler Museum
- Cellar Bar
- Capitão Lagoon
- Torres Cave
SÃO JORGE ISLAND
- The fajãs (there are more than 80 fajãs in the Island. The most famous are Caldeira de Santo Cristo, Cubres, Vimes, Ouvidor)
- Sao Dimas Natural Pool (in Fajã do Ouvidor)
- Villa of Topo and the Cheese Factory
- Santa Catarina Tuna Factory
- Ponta dos Rosais
- Velas Villa
Click on the arrow for more pics
Don't forget your mandatory gear
Don't forget to bring everything you need from home. For more information about mandatory gear, check out the rules of the event.
Pay attention to the boat transfer schedule. If you miss the boat you will certainly miss the race.
Check out often your e-mail, the Triangle Adventure Facebook Page and this site to follow any information regarding logistic, regulations and recommendations due to Covid Pandemic.
The routes, program, and rules may change due to weather conditions or force majeure.
Logistics, rules, and recommendations for the race may change before the event due to advances in the Covid Pandemic. Please, pay attention to your inbox for Azores Trail Run emails, follow the Azores Triangle Adventure Facebook page, and visit this website often for new information.
We hope you have the most incredible time during this trip. But remember, this is an adventure on the the Middle of North Atlantic. We may face bad weather, we may need to deal with some shortage of supplies, we may have some not so smooth boat trips...
But we'll certainly have the most amazing experience!
Welcome to Triangle Adventure by Azores Trail Run®