TRIANGLE ADVENTURE: PICO, SÃO JORGE AND FAIAL ISLANDS, AZORES
Logistics, rules and recommendations for the race may change before the event due to advance on Covid Pandemic. Please, pay attention to your inbox for Azores Trail Run emails, follow the Azores Triangle Adventure facebook page and visit this website often for new informations.
HOW TO GET THERE
MAIN ISLAND OF TRIANGLE ADVENTURE: FAIAL ISLAND
DESTINATION AIRPORT FOR FAIAL ISLAND: HORTA AIRPORT (HOR)
OPTION: you can also fly to PICO ISLAND, PICO AIRPORT (PIX)*
You can reach Faial and Pico Islands from Lisboa, São Miguel Island, Azores (Ponta Delgada Airport), and Terceira Island, Azores (Lajes Airport). The airline that flies to Faial Island is Azores Airlines.
You can reach São Miguel Island ou Terceira Island by Azores Airlines from:
From Portugal, there are direct flights from Lisbon, Porto, and Funchal (Madeira Island)
From North America, there are direct flights from Boston, Providence, and Oakland (USA) and Toronto and Montreal (Canada)
From other European countries, there are direct flights from London, Frankfurt, and Gran Canaria.
From Cape Verde, there are direct flights from Santiago Island.
Be aware that the number of flights and seats per flight are very limited, so book your trip in advance.
* If your fly to Pico, you can stay there and collect the BIB at the start line of the race (the Pico Island stage is the first one), or you can catch a ferry to the city of Horta in Faial Island.
WHERE TO STAY
To decide where to Stay, it is important to pay attention to the program of the event. It's a 3-day event on three islands, and we will travel between them by boat each day in the morning. As close you are to the boat, as easy it will be for you. The organization will not provide transportation to the boat pier because all of them are in the main city of the islands, where most of the runners, and the organization, stay. Check the recommendations below:
1. Faial island: The Bib Collection will take place on Faial Island on the day previous to the race. So, the days before the race start, you can stay Faial. (Optionally, you can stay in Pico and collect your Bib on the start line at Pico). The first stage of the race is Pico, and we will catch a boat at Horta to Pico Island very early in the morning. So, if you are not going to stay near the Boat Pier, we recommend you to book a taxi in advance or manage transportation with your accommodation place.
2. Pico: After finishing the race in Pico, the bus will take the runners back to the Madalena, where you'll catch the boat for São Jorge Island the next day. Madalena, on Pico Island, is the best place for you to stay,
3. São Jorge: After finishing the race on São Jorge Island, the bus will take the runners back to Velas, where you'll catch the boat for Faial Island the next day.
4. Faial: the last stage is on Faial Island. The city of Horta is a good place to stay.
Some options exist for Hotels, Hostels, and Houses for Rent in Horta City, Faial. If you are not going to stay in Horta, we recommend you arrange in advance transportation with your lodging option because the organization will not provide transportation to the boat that departs from Horta.
Main Hotels in Horta: Azoris Faial Garden, Hotel do Canal, Horta Hotel, Internacional Boutique Hostel and Residencial São Francisco.
Pico has some hotels, hostels, and Houses for Rent options in Madalena. If you are not going to stay in Madalena, we recommend you arrange in advance transportation with your lodging option because the organization will not provide transportation to the boat that departs from Madalena and from the finish line to any other place than Madalena.
Main Hotels in Madalena: Caravelas Hotel and Porto Velho Boutique Hostel
São Jorge has some Hotels and Houses for Rent options in Velas. If you are not going to stay in Velas, we recommend you arrange in advance transportation with your lodging option because the organization will not provide transportation to the boat that departs from Velas and from the finish line to any other place than Velas.
Main Hotel in Velas: São Jorge Garden
WHERE TO STAY EACH DAY
Before the race: Faial Island or Pico Island
1st Day/ Stage: Pico Island (Madalena)
2nd Day /Stage: São Jorge Island (Velas)
3rd Day /Stage: Faial Island (Horta)
If you are not going to stay in the main cities of the event, we recommend you to arrange transportation with your hotel, hostel, B&B or house in advance to the boats and from the finishing lines.
AND FINISHING LINES
Faial: from Horta, Oct 21st
Pico Island: from Madalena, Oct 22nd
São Jorge Island, from Velas, Oct 23rd
Pico Island: Mountain House
São Jorge Island: Fajã dos Cubres
Faial Island: Capelinhos Volcano
BETWEEN THE ISLANDS
The boat transfer between the islands is included in the fee registration for all the runners registered on the 3 stages* and just for the runners (followers can buy boat ticket at Atlanticoline). All the boats departure from the main location in each island (Horta City, in Faial, Madalena in Pico and Velas in São Jorge).
* If you are going to run just 1 or 2 stages you need to get to to island on your own .
IN THE ISLANDS
Transportation from the boats to the start line or from the finish line to the main locations (Horta, Madalena and Velas) is secured by the organization to the runners exclusively. Followers must find their way to move around the islands (rent a car or motorbike, jeeps rides or taxis).
If you are not going to stay in Horta, Madalena and Velas, we recommend you to arrange transportation by taxi, rental car or in your accommodation in advance to the boat piers and from the finishing lines.
In October and November the ocean can be tricky. So, if you get sick easely in boat trips, take precautionary measures before boarding
WHAT TO DO
The 3 Islands of the Azorean Triangle, Pico, São Jorge and Faial, have unique features and landscapes. During the race, you'll be able to pass trough some breathtaking views and reach some amazing places.
If you want to stay longer to enjoy the islands, you can choose some of those activities on the 3 islands:
- Whale and Dolphin Watching
- Scuba Diving
- Horse Riding
- Bird Watching
- Boat Ride
And you can visit some amazing places in each Island:
- Capelinhos Volcano and the Interpretation Center of the Volcano
- Caldeira (Volcano Crater)
- Porto Pim Bay (Beach, Monte da Guia, Monte dos Queimados)
- Botanical Garden
- Museum "Fábrica da Baleia" about the whaler industry
- City of Horta and the Boat Pier (and Peter Cafe Sport)
- Castelo Branco Hill
- The Pico Mountain
- The Wine Museum
- "Centro de Interpretação da Paisagem da Cultura da Vinha" (Interpretation Center of the Vineyard Culture)
- The Lajido and "criações velhas" area, with the traditional Vineyards
- Lajes Villa and the Whaler Museum
- Cellar Bar
- Capitão Lagoon
- Torres Cave
SÃO JORGE ISLAND
- The fajãs (there are more than 80 fajãs in the Island. The most famous are Caldeira de Santo Cristo, Cubres, Vimes, Ouvidor)
- Sao Dimas Natural Pool (in Fajã do Ouvidor)
- Villa of Topo and the Cheese Factory
- Santa Catarina Tuna Factory
- Ponta dos Rosais
- Velas Villa
Click on the arrow for more pics
Don't forget your mandatory gear
20 de Outubro (quinta)
14h às 22h - Recolha do Dorsal no Mercado Municipal da Horta
19h - Briefing Azores Triangle Adventure no Mercado Municipal da Horta
21 de Outubro (sexta)
07h - Encontro no Terminal Marítimo da Horta
07h30 - Partida do barco para Madalena (Pico)
08h - Chegada à Madalena (Pico)
09h - Início da etapa Vineyard to the Mountain Trail
14h - Início dos transfers da Casa da Montanha para a Madalena (partida a cada 1 hora)
19h - Tempo limite para a chegar Casa da Montanha (partida do último transfer para Madalena)
22 de Outubro (Sábado)
08h10 - Encontro no Terminal Marítimo da Madalena
08h40 - Partida do barco para Velas (São Jorge)
10h00 - Chegada a Velas (São Jorge)
10h15 - Transfer para a partida
11h30 - Início da etapa Fajãs Trail
14h30 - Início dos transfers da meta para as Velas (partida a cada 1 hora)
19h30 - Tempo limite para a chegar à meta de chegada (partida do último transfer para Velas)
23 de Outubro (Domingo)
07h30 - Encontro no Terminal Marítimo das Velas
08h - Partida do barco para Horta (Faial)
9h40 - Chegada à Horta (Faial)
10h - Transfer para a partida
11:30 - Início da etapa VolcanoesTrail
19h30 - Tempo limite para chegar à meta de chegada (partida do último transfer para Horta)
Don't forget to bring everything you need from home. For more information about mandatory gear, check out the rules of the event.
Pay attention to the boat transfer schedule. If you miss the boat you will certainly miss the race.
Check out often your e-mail, the Triangle Adventure Facebook Page and this site to follow any information regarding logistic, regulations and recommendations due to Covid Pandemic.
The routes, program, and rules may change due to weather conditions or force majeure.
Logistics, rules, and recommendations for the race may change before the event due to advances in the Covid Pandemic. Please, pay attention to your inbox for Azores Trail Run emails, follow the Azores Triangle Adventure Facebook page, and visit this website often for new information.
We hope you have the most incredible time during this trip. But remember, this is an adventure on the the Middle of North Atlantic. We may face bad weather, we may need to deal with some shortage of supplies, we may have some not so smooth boat trips...
But we'll certainly have the most amazing experience!
Welcome to Triangle Adventure by Azores Trail Run®